Wednesday 28 May 2014

The textile factories from my youth

When I was a young boy, I used to go with my father on visits to textile factories around and near the place we use to live back then. In the north of Portugal. For a five to eight years old children, these moments with my father were unique explorations of unimagined worlds. In the Summer, while on vacations from school, we use to go on to visit some of the major textile and shoes makers factories around our home-town. Those were mesmerizing building, with a big entrance, on granite stone, the private parking full of greyish Mercedes and Volvo. All parked on the shadow of a big, massive greyish shoes-like box factory. On a phenomenological level the White Cube reminds me of these spaces. A big greyish shoes=like box full with painting, sculptures, photographies, i.e. art works! The illusion of freedom in academies and galleries just like those fabrics were struck and stacked with shoes and suits, and t-shirts, and socks, etc.

No comments :