Wednesday 11 June 2014

London taverns

There are two types if taverns: those that are frigid and those that are aphrodisiac. When I was a young boy, everyday my parents gave money to go and eat out for lunch while at school time. When living in the north of Portugal I used to go to the restaurant that my family used to be everyday, after work, with friends. When we moved to the centre of Portugal, I was by myself and went exploring what the town had to offer in terms of tavern's quality: 'João da Quinta', 'Renaca', Gualdina', 'Castelão', 'Joaquim Morais', 'Perna de Pau', 'Augusto Pinto', 'Victor', etc. Each one with it's own speciality. The food that was serve was normally greasy but tasty, full of fat but promoted a vigorous body, and the metal or clay plate in where it was served was thriving of it! Did not had a favourite. Like them all! The exhilarating idea surrounding an one hour visit was intoxicating. Blacked and fresh places where grown up people use to get together, talked and discussed about the most important topics of life, like football, work, the cattle and the horses, or fishing and the river, delight remarks on women and family, on politics and religion. A indeterminate sea of sources of pleasure. Nowadays, my taverns are, in London, those places where one goes and appreciate the reality about the illusion, art projects, galleries, historical houses, museums, collections or any other artistic destination and cultural destination. Because, if I want to eat in a delightful and enjoyable way I eat at home or go to a Michelin star restaurant accompanied by three gorgeous and amusing women and a savoury wine.

No comments :